Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The school song


So, as promised, here is a new post - this time a question I answered that I thought might be of interest to those with general curiosity in the archives. The Alma Mater school song was written by Albert Krug and Jessie Cowles (both class of 1908) in response to a contest announced at a chapel service in 1907. Albert wrote the words and Jessie composed the music for what became known as our Alma Mater - still sung today at nearly every ceremonial event here on campus. The College Archives has the original copy of the school song submitted by the duo. Albert Krug and Jessie Cowles married in 1911, after Albert had completed seminary. Albert returned to North Central as the Dean of religion before passing away in 1931.

3 comments:

Belinda said...

Thanks for sharing! I think I had known at one point that there were more verses, but I had forgotten. I'm glad we don't have to go through all of them each time we sing it!

mia said...

That is so interesting! What a nice story.

Unknown said...

Hey, Kim...Dennis Everson over in Chicago...you helped me a couple of years ago find my great grandfather in many of the college archives (George Hoeft, Prep School class of 1910.) Love the work you've done on the college archives!!! A tiny correction on your school song, though. You mention how AA Kruge aqnd Jessie Crowles were both from the class of 1908. It just so happens I have a 1907 College Chronicle in front of me. And it shows that Jessie was from the class of 1910. Hope you don't mind the correction. I am totally OCD when it comes to dates. And, again, I LOVE what you've done to bring the college archives to the masses! Thanks, Dennis Everson (773)583-6629