Thursday, October 2, 2008

My first post - ever

Ok, so here's my first post. I know, it's boring, but hey, I'll get the hang of this whole thing. I'm planning to use my blog not as anything deep and meaningful, but to share on a regular basis interesting factoids about the Archives and what we're doing. What I'm envisioning is tidbits of college related historical facts (when I've done research in answering a request that I think people might be interested in), posting unidentified photos and seeking input about who the people or places might be (or years as so much of our stuff is undated!), and generally letting people know what's new and happening in the Archives. I'm sure personal stuff will leak through - GO BEARS!! - but mostly it's going to be work-related.

Ok, so one of the things we're working on in the Archives right now is Homecoming - coming up very soon! First - the image - this is the queen's court from a Homecoming parade in the 50s sometime. We get lots of image use and requests leading up to Homecoming.

We'll also have an open house in the Archives reference room on Friday afternoon of Homecoming w
eekend and by then I have to have a new display up in our reference room cabinet. We've decided to focus on 'what's new in the Archives' - so new artifacts, new manuscripts, new official records from offices. Look forward to some of these items to become posts!

2 comments:

Tom Gill said...

Nice. I'm looking forward to your posts.

BTW: Isn't "new in the Archives" an oxymoron? Just kidding!!

Kim said...

Yes - there's always new stuff in the Archives!! I get new donations or even just finally find information I've been searching for or have a researcher mention something. Lots of fodder for a blog!!